Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Port-a-Potties and Potty Training

Most people I know, young and old, would rather pee behind a bush than use a port-a-potty. Not my child though. She wants to use the port-a-potty by herself, and today, locked the door. I was so worried she was going to climb into the tank (ewwww, but it is something she would do).

Nora has mostly been doing really well with using the potty. She loves wearing underwear and will usually use the potty when she has to go. However, if she's overtired she still has accidents and if we ask her or make her sit on the potty, she will hold it and pee somewhere that causes problems (car, couch, inside the kitchen cabinets). It's a bit frustrating, but it's her way of showing her independence and feeling in charge, or at least that's what I'm telling myself.

She still struggles with pooping on the potty. She just goes in her underwear. She seems to know she has to go, and sometimes will sit on the potty to try, but I think she's still working out the details. For now, we are dealing with the mess because if we put her in a pullup or diaper, she just uses the pullup/diaper instead of the potty, and the cloth diapers we have are now too small for her. I'd gladly accept any suggestions! We've tried incentives and she just doesn't seem to care. She helps us to clean up any accidents that land on the floor (car, cabinet...), she helps clean and rinse off her underwear. Hmmm....maybe this is the problem. I wonder if she likes using the diaper sprayer a little too much...

I guess I should count my blessings, other than the last few days (regression from vacation overload?) she's been dry for a few months and we only use one pull up at night.

1 comment:

Katherine said...

I feel your frustration - co close and yet so far. Martha has a very similar independent streak, and will absolutely not go when we ask. Luckily about a minute and a half seems to be sufficient time for her to feel that two events are distinct and separate. So we ask, she says "no" (even though she clearly needs to go!) and a minute and a half later announces, as if this brilliant idea has just occurred to her "I need to use the potty!" and races off. Everything just clicked for her in June and we aren't looking back. One day soon Nora will also decide that using the potty is worthwhile everytime. Gotta love those independent kids!