Thursday, April 28, 2011

Easter Crafting

We did a lot of spring and Easter crafts in the weeks leading up to Easter. It was a lot of fun and Nora really enjoys doing projects - craft, science, baking, or really anything I can come up with! It's sometimes a challenge preparing for the week - coming up with ideas with items I have, and finding the energy to do the projects. It's gotten easier as Beth has started sleeping through the night and hockey season (and late night practices) have ended.

There are so many amazing crafty mom blogs to look at, and finding them has been a good motivator. I think. It may also be just a bit overwhelming! I've also found a few good science sites that have ideas for even little scientists, which has been of great help!
We did a number of Easter crafts. We made coffee filter eggs - I cut egg shapes out of coffee filters and then we colored them with washable markers. Once we colored them, but would spray them with water and watch the colors bleed. It was fun and made for a nice effect. Nora loved making big circles and then spraying to watch the circles bleed and the colors combine. We made some lacy eggs using embroidery floss, cornstarch glue and water balloons. Dip strips of the floss in glue and wrap around a balloon. Once tried, pop the balloon, and you have a pretty shell. While I had the cornstarch glue, we also made flowers with yarn and glue. We dipped yarn in glue and then put it in cookie cutters. We also made a star and butterfly this way. Nora really enjoyed it, and once the glue was no longer needed, I added a bit of food color and we had finger paint! Nora had a blast helping me to color Easter eggs. I blew 2 eggs out, took tops off 4 more, and hard-boiled 6 (we scrambled up the raw eggs for breakfast!). We drew on them first with crayon. Then, we dyed them. The 2 I blew out went in a potted plant in the window for decoration. The 6 hard-boiled became lunch after Easter and the 4 that I took the top off from became candles. They turned out pretty good. I used some soy wax and wicks and we filled the egg shells about halfway with wax. You did have to be careful lighting them, but it was a fun project!

Here's some photos of our Work in progress.


Nora, learning about how balloons can stick to walls if you rub them in your hair first. 

Showing off her work sticking balloons to the cabinet using just her hair (and a little help from daddy).
It was a rainy day when we did the cornstarch glue crafts. Nora wanted to go out on the deck, so she put on her rain coat and went out for a bit. She took a coffee cup and tried to make rain-tea. She was actually singing and dancing to the sky to make more rain to fill her cup!
The finished thread-eggs.
Nora and Beth, taking a break from helping decorate the window for Easter and spring!




The window, decorated with help from the girls. 

Some close ups of the art in the window.


The lit eggshell candles. Nora LOVED these!

No comments: