Friday, July 8, 2011

Art Camp!

We decided to sign Nora up for Art Camp this summer. It was through the Groton Center for the Arts and is a two week program (there are 3 two weeks sessions). It's for 4-6 year olds, but one of Nora's best buds was going to be attending and the camp said she could give it a try. I won't lie, I was VERY nervous dropping her off the first day. She was a lot younger than everyone else. She had been so very shy at preschool until May, when she suddenly (with only a few weeks left in school) came out of her shell, and I was nervous that she would clam right back up in a new environment. But, with a promise from her (older and wiser) friend to watch over her, I dropped her off. She had the best time! The camp was fabulous and I'm sure Nora will be going back next year. In fact, we ended up putting her in for a half session a few weeks later! During the two week session, the kids got to swim for an hour each day, they played duck duck goose, leap frog, monkey in the middle and many other fun camp games. They also had some basic tennis lessons, dance lessons, did plenty of art and even did some drama. At the end of the session, the kids put on a performance for the parents. The first session, they did Dr. Seuss's ABC's and Nora did amazing! She was certainly the loudest child on stage! I'm still in shock that she projected her voice so well!

The only "problem" with camp was that it was from 9-1 and was 30 minutes from home. Luckily, Nora's friend lives in Groton and has a baby sister Beth's age (and her mom is a good friend of mine!) and Groton just happens to have a wonderful public beach, a great rail trail and a park behind their library. So, Beth and I ended up spending the days going for a walk, having a snack and then playing on the town beach. It was really a fabulous time for all of us!

On the last day of camp, we all got together to watch the performance. Then, we went for ice cream and went for a little hike behind our friends home. It was another wonderful day. The kids had a blast, and it's a day that I think we'll all remember for a long time!

Nora doing her lines in the play. She had the letters I and J!
 Dancing!
 Nora with her best bud and their favorite councilor!
 On the hike to the pond after their performance.
 Checking out the pond.

No comments: