Tuesday, August 23, 2011

What a day!

I know I have a lot of blogging to catch up on, but I just had to write about today. It was such an amazing day! I was a bit worried that today would be really hard on me. Both of my girls very easily pick up on my emotions, so I was extra concerned today. I knew I needed to do something fun with the kids. Both to keep myself distracted and because that's what my mom would have wanted! So, Nora, Beth and I went to the Davis Farmland with our good friends Cynthia and Alex.

All I can say about the day is wow! Nora and Beth were both amazing! After having to wake Nora up just after 8:30am, we got on the road and arrived at Davis just after 10am. Nora slept later than I think she ever has before and got ready faster than I've ever seen before! We spent the better part of the morning in the animal area of the Farmland. Nora brushed a baby goat, brushed a pony, watched a baby goat nurse, held a very new baby goat on her lap and fed many goats with her hand. The big chickens, especially the ones with "big hair" made her nervous and the bigger goats also scared her. Even Beth petted a few of the goats until just after 11am, when she got tired enough that she couldn't overcome her fears any longer. I ended up carrying her for the rest of the morning, but she still enjoyed herself! Of course, both girls loved petting the milk snake, the python and the bearded dragon!
"Look at the chicken!"

Taking a break from milking the cow. 
Checking out the frog pond with a good friend.
After lunch, we played in the "Camp Moo Moo" for a little while. The kids played in one of the "RV's" for a bit, and then made themselves at home in the log cabin - making cupcakes and muffins and cookies and pies. They had a blast, and I got to sit down for a few minutes and just watch the kids imaginations at work! Nora discovered the bouncy house and wanted to give it a go. I was a bit surprised as in the past she just looked at it and had no interest in climbing inside. This time, she went right in and had a blast. Someone did pull her ponytail, which made her come out of the house crying for a few minutes, but she wanted to go right back in after I fixed the ponytail holder! Even Beth, who is normally very apprehensive to enter new places decided to test out the bouncy house. Both of them had a good time for a few minutes. Then, Nora, Alex and Cynthia went on the tractor ride. Beth is scared of the tractor, but had been asking to ride the pony all day, so we walked over to the service area to get pony ride tickets and then walked over to watch the tractor ride. Once the tractor ride was over, we went and got in line for the pony ride. The kids tried to be patient while we waited in line, but the excitement made it very difficult for them. When Nora was next in line, you could see her nervous excitement. She had a big grin on her face! Then, the farmer took her ticket and quickly lifted Nora up and onto the pony. Nora briefly had a scared look on her face, but it changed to a smile in a matter of seconds. She very much enjoyed her pony ride. Unfortunately, Beth was not willing to get on the pony. The child who begged to ride the pony all morning decided that once the time came she was just not ready.

 Playing in the fishing pond near the picnic area.
 Photo by Cynthia


 Photo by Cynthia
 Photo by Cynthia
 Photo by Cynthia. I think Nora looks stunning in this shot. It's her favorite hat, a hand me down from a good friend. I might need to look into getting her a second one!
 Playing in Camp Moo-Moo's log cabin. Photo by Cynthia
 Still inside the log cabin. Photo by Cynthia
 Nora on the pony ride. One of my proudest mama moments. She overcame a huge fear to sit upon the pony!
 Big happy grin! Photo by Cynthia
 Photo by Cynthia


After another snack and a restroom break, we walked over to the splash pad. Beth decided pretty quickly that the water was a bit too cold for her, but Nora had a blast in the water and it took no time at all before she was soaked! She loved the bubble tank and the giant slip and slide and running through all the sprays. Such a change from last year when she would only play in the water table they have set up!

 Beth was pretty unsure of the spray area. She did enjoy playing with her shadow though. And watching her big sister on the slip and slide!
 Nora in the bubble tank.
 Post bubble tank silliness.
 Run
 
Jump
Slide

We stayed at the Farmland for a full day, with two 3 year olds and a 2 year old and had no meltdowns! What a great day!

No comments: