Wednesday, May 5, 2010

I've been struggling a lot lately with who I am and who I want to be. I guess it's only natural for this to happen once you have kids. I totally love staying home with my two beautiful girls and watching them grow up, but I feel like I need to do something more. I keep going back and forth on working part time, pursuing a career in teaching, or just staying home with the kids until Beth is in Kindergarten. There are days when I think I'd be better off putting them both in full time daycare and going back to work full time, and others when I think it would just break my heart to do so. I'm not sure where the balance is, or if I will ever figure it out! Luckily, Andy has been pretty supportive in this and is trying to encourage me to follow my heart. He would love it if I could stay home with the kids, but understands that I may need to work.

Currently, I'm thinking of going into teaching. I think I'm going to stay home for another year with the kids and then start teaching high school physics in Mass. I'll have to deal with the MCAS, but I hope to have the opportunity to make science fun for students in my classroom. I thought about starting sooner, but I'd really like to be beyond the baby stage with Beth. I guess we'll see what the next year brings!

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I totally hear where you are coming from. I am in the same boat, although I dont want to go full time. My job at JPSA was filled so now I also have to figure out what to do when I grow up and when to start. It is at least nice to know we have the luxury to have choices.

Katherine said...

This is such a tough balance to strike! I think we all second guess ourselves on this one, or at least I do. Hopefully we all find a way we're happy with, one way or another!