Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Playing with the camera

Andy got a really nice macro lens for our DSLR camera a few years ago when we were hiking a lot. We got it so that we could take photos of flowers and other cool things on the trails, and Andy has taken a number of awesome photos with it (which we still need to frame and hang up in the house!). I knew that a macro lens could be used for portraits, but had always been a bit scared of the DSLR camera to try - I use it mostly in point and shoot mode to quickly shoot photos of the kids, while Andy usually changes the settings for taking amazing photos of mountains, waterfalls etc). Yesterday, between nap and the scary thunderstorm, I had the chance to play with the camera with the kids in the front yard. I think I got some good photos. I'm still figuring out how to change the settings on the camera, but I got a number of really good photos. My biggest problem was photographing moving targets!

Here are some of Nora. She was a bit easier to photograph, although she kept moving closer and closer to me, which made if very difficult to photograph! One of the challenges of the macro lens we have is the distance you have to be to get the photo. In all the photos below, I was standing a number of feet away from the kids, and I was barely able to get their head in the frame!






I had a more difficult time with Beth because she kept moving right at the wrong moment. I took loads of photos of her though, so I got a lot of nice ones of her as well.





No comments: