Nora loves baking soda and vinegar experiments. She was very excited when I asked her if she wanted to blow up a balloon using the "fizz" from the reaction. We used a funnel to put some baking soda inside a balloon and then put some vinegar in a bottle. I stretched the balloon over the top of the bottle.
Here's Nora right before we started the reaction.
Lifting up the balloon to dump the baking soda into the vinegar.
Watching the balloon inflate with carbon dioxide.
At one point, the balloon inflated enough to fall over to the side. It surprised Nora a bit, but she really enjoyed this experiment.
We have repeated this experiment a number of times. Both girls love watching the balloon inflate! We ended up inflating one balloon with the carbon dioxide and another with regular air. It was really interesting to compare them. I wish I had taken photos. We noticed that the "gas" filled balloon fell to the ground much quicker than the 'breath' filled balloon, which seemed to float down a little more. Then, the next morning when Nora picked up the 'gas' filled balloon, she noticed right away that it had shrunk significantly in size! The 'breath' filled one didn't seem to change overnight.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





No comments:
Post a Comment